TRIPLE CROWN RULES FOR THE TOURNAMENT:
Unless noted prior to the event, National Federation High School Rules will be used with the
following notations. Triple Crown reserves the right to enforce particular invitational tournament rules.
Franchisees may offer rule variations.
1. Age Requirement: May 1 will be the designated date to determine ages.
Photocopies of birth certificates will be required.
2. Roster rules are as follows:
7u to 14u – Rosters may not exceed 20 players during the course of the season.
15u to 18u – Rosters may not exceed 25 players during the course of the season.
3. Protest Fee: $100 cash (on rule interpretation only).
4. Game Time: Starting time is forfeit time, unless delay is created by Triple Crown. Game time starts at completion of coin toss.
5. Home Team: Determined by coin flip in pool play, in playoff rounds the better seeded team will be given choice of home/visitor. Home team is required to keep the official book.
6. Player Minimum: A team must start with a minimum of 9 players but can finish with less, taking outs in vacated batting positions.
7. Championship Games: No time limit and no "Triple Crown Tie Breaker” – run rules are still in effect.
8. Pitching Rules (Innings per Tournament):
8s = 6 innings 9s = 6 innings 10s = 6 innings 11s = 6 innings 12s = 6 innings
13s = 7 innings 14s = 7innings 15s = 8 innings 16s = 8 innings 18s = 8 innings
****One additional inning per game, per player starting in a team’s 5th game played****
*Scorecards must be signed by both team managers to eliminate inning validation problems. (Managers, please help with this process.)
*No limit on the number of appearances.
*One pitch will be considered an inning pitched.
*Eight warm-ups to start, five thereafter.
*Mound: 14s and younger may throw on flat surfaces depending on field availability.
*If pitching rules are violated and the infraction is detected, the situation will be reviewed and consequences will be determined by the tournament director. Consequences may include, but are not limited to, the following: coach and/or player ejections, game forfeiture, removal of team from the tournament, suspension from additional tournaments.
9. Infield Warm-Ups: All teams are encouraged to warm-up as much as possible before game time. No pre-game infield.
10. Baseballs: Teams must provide all game balls. (Typically two new balls and one used ball per game are sufficient.)
11. No steel cleats in the following age groups: 10u and younger.
12. 14u and younger = High School bat weight/length differential rule is waived. 15U and older = -3 restriction in effect.
13. Uniforms: Numbers mandatory, matching uniforms recommended.
14. Adverse Weather: The Triple Crown Baseball Tournament will be played in adverse weather conditions. The format may be changed to lesser time limits or fewer innings to complete the tournament. Coaches and players accept these conditions when entering the tournament.
15. Decisions: The Tournament Director shall have final decision on all tournament questions.
16. Hotels/Motels/Condos: Teams that leave unpaid bills or damages will be removed from the tournament and reported to their respective leagues.
17. Refund Policy: There will be a $200.00 administration fee charged for complete rain outs; 1 game played = 50% of entry fee; 2 or more games played = no refund.
18. Tie-Breaker System: If a game is tied after all innings have been completed (or at time limit), the "Triple Crown Tie-Breaker" will go into effect. Each team puts the batter who is scheduled to bat last in their offensive half of the inning on second base and plays out a full inning. This happens until the tie is broken and the game is complete.
19. No Show: Teams that no-show will forfeit their entry fee and may be subject to suspension from competition in Triple Crown events for the remainder of the season.
20. All age groups can have an EH (Extra Hitter) if they choose to bat 10. Both a DH and EH may be used at the same time. Teams in the 7u through 14u age brackets may choose to bat their entire roster and have free defensive substitution. If this option is chosen, YOU WILL BE ALLOWED TO USE THE LAST BATTED OUT AS A COURTESY RUNNER FOR YOUR PITCHER AND CATCHER ONLY. An out will be recorded if any batting spot is vacated during the course of the game. Ages 15 and up can bat 9 (regular order) or 10 (with an EH).
21. Courtesy Runners: (Not used if batting entire line-up.) As per NFHS rules, a courtesy runner may be used for the pitcher or catcher. The courtesy runner must be a substitute player that has not been in the game. A courtesy runner may run for either the pitcher or catcher, but not both. Two courtesy runners (one for pitcher, one for catcher) may be used if the team has eligible substitutes for both roles. If there are no substitutes available, THE TEAM MAY USED THE LAST BATTED OUT AS THE COURTESY RUNNER. IF THE TEAM IS BATTING THE WHOLE LINEUP, THEN IT WOULD BE THE LAST BATTED OUT FOR THE ENTIRE GAME FOR PITCHER AND CATCHER. THE SAME RUNNER CAN NOT RUN FOR BOTH THE PITCHER AND CATCHER WITHIN THE SAME INNING.
22. Visits to the mound: As per NFHS rules, each team is allowed three charged visits to the mound within a game. A charged visit is a trip in which the manager or coach does not remove the pitcher. After the three charged visits are used, every trip to the mound will result in the pitcher being removed. A visit is not “charged” when the manager removes the pitcher from the mound. Remember, charged visits are cumulative for the entire game (visits are not tracked “per pitcher”). No restrictions on visits per inning.
****TRIPLE CROWN WILL PLAY THESE DIMENSIONS AND RUN RULES****
8u (Coach Pitch): 46' pitching/60' bases; 1 hr. 45 minute time limit; 6 inning games; run rules are 15 after 3, 10 after 4, 8 after 5. Championship game no time limit, but run rules are still in effect. One bunt per inning, per team; no stealing; no butcher boy. Total of 5 pitches per batter; no walks. Maximum of 7 runs per inning. Unlimited runs in the last inning for both teams.
8u (KID PITCH) **40’ pitching**60’bases**1 hr 45 min**6 innings**15 runs after 3 innings, 10 runs after 4 innings or 8 runs after 5 innings. Championship Game: no time limit, no tie-breaker. Run rules are still in effect. One bunt per inning, per team; no stealing; no butcher boy. Maximum of 7 runs per inning for each team. Unlimited runs in the last inning for both teams.
9u, 10u**46' pitching**65' bases**1 hr 45 min**6 innings** 15 runs after 3 innings, 10 runs after 4 innings, or 8 runs after 5 innings.
9u, 10u Championship Game: no time limit, no tie-breaker. Run rules are still in effect.
11u, 12u**50' pitching**70' bases**1 hr 45 min**6 innings** 15 runs after 3 innings, 10 runs after 4 innings, or 8 runs after 5 innings.
11u, 12u Championship Game: no time limit, no tie-breaker. Run rules are still in effect.
13u**54' pitching**80' bases**2 hrs**7 innings** 15 runs after 4 innings, 10 runs after 5 innings, or 8 runs after 6 innings. Championship game: no time limit, no tie-breaker. Run rules are still in effect.
14u**54' pitching / 80' bases OR 60’6” pitching / 90’ bases**2 hrs**7 innings** 15 runs after 4 innings, 10 runs after 5 innings, or 8 runs after 6 innings. Championship game: no time limit, no tie-breaker. Run rules are still in effect.
15u, 16u, 18u**60'6" pitching**90' bases**2 hrs 10 min** 7 innings** 15 runs after 4 innings, 10 runs after 5 innings or 8 runs after 6 innings.
15u, 16u, 18u Championship Game: no time limit, no tie-breaker. Run rules are still in effect.
*********All ages have a 20 run rule after 2 completed innings*********
8U COACH AND KID PITCH SPECIFIC RULES:
AT THE 8U LEVEL ONLY: No leadoffs, no stealing home -- a runner *starting a play* at 3rd Base may *only* advance home on a batted ball or when *forced* home by a walk, hit batter, or other force play (bases loaded). For 8u, note that a walk is considered a "Dead Ball" situation -- the batter may only take 1st Base and any forced runners may only advance one base. A runner starting from 1st or 2nd Base may advance home as a continuation of a play (there is not a mandatory ""red light"" at 3rd Base for a play in motion). Runner may leave base only after ball crosses plate: 1st Offense = Dead Ball / warning; 2nd Offense = Dead Ball / offending runner is called out, other runners return to previously occupied bases, no ball/strike charged to batter). Batter may not run on dropped 3rd strike ... bunting is allowed (ONE SUCCESSFUL BUNT PER INNING). No balks. 7 RUN LIMIT PER INNING UNTIL LAST INNING WHICH WILL BE UNLIMITED RUNS ALLOWED FOR BOTH TEAMS.